Résumé: Mercy McClung
I design sustainable performance wear that explores intersectionality, activism, and inclusion in fashion.
KENT STATE UNIVERSITY Bachelor of Arts, Fashion Design, May 2022. GPA: 3.99
CFDA Design Scholar Award KSU Endorsement 2021
- Created an alternative sportswear collection exploring the role of identity outside of team sports.
Related courses and projects
Sustainable Studio Applications Course
- Hands-on creation of zero waste garments to develop sustainable studio practices.
- Upcycled Patagonia garments from outdated pieces to raise awareness for climate change.
Fashion Entrepreneurship Course
- Collaborated on a non-profit business proposal called Bridge the Gap tackling racial insensitivity and cultural appropriation in the fashion industry through consultation and education.
The Argonauts Project
- Designed a contemporary soccer kit representing BIPOC women to remove associated stigma.
DESIGN INTERN: SER.O.YA New York, NY. Design Department. Fall 2021
- Assisted team on seasonal collections with research, CAD’s, sourcing, production, and specing.
- Developed operational understanding of industry design processes and team collaboration.
COSTUME DESIGN INTERN: Theatre Macon, GA. Costume dept. Summers 2016-17
- Assistant: Mentored by accomplished designer on sourcing, patterns, fittings, and production.
- Stitcher: Worked with design team to construct costumes for productions of 42nd Street, Driving Miss Daisy, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum.
COSTUME DESIGN INTERN: Cumberland Co. Playhouse Crossville, TN. 2014-15
- Stitcher: Worked with design team to construct costumes, make alterations, solve construction and performance issues for productions of Shrek, Anne Frank, Beauty and the Beast, Mary Poppins.
KENT STATE UNIVERSITY FASHION COLLECTIVE: Co-Founder and Organizer. 2019 - Present
- Founded a student-led organization to collaborate with Fashion School faculty to raise awareness of and find solutions to fashion student needs, strengthen existing activities, and start new ones.
- Built organizational plan and ensured compliance with university administrative requirements.
- Created an online community for fashion school faculty and students to share ideas and collaborate.
- Cochaired 9 Fashion Collective board meetings and initiated 4 student-faculty discussions.
- Managed the organization’s social media marketing on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and website.
KENT STATE STUDENT MOOD BOARD COLLECTIVE: Creator & Founder. 2018 - Present
- Identified and solved magazine resource challenge for freshman Fashion Visuals class.
- Initiated, secured, and coordinated magazine publisher donations to the Fashion School.
- Program provides critical design resources to freshman Fashion Merchandising and Design class.
KENT STATE WOMEN’S SOCCER CLUB: Player and Team Manager. 2018 & 2019 Season
- Managed, tracked and fundraised team operational season budget of over $5000.
- Designed team spirit wear and uniforms. Developed club advertising. Recruited new players.
- Assisted in coaching planning and running team practices. Set up joint co-ed club indoor practices.
- Worked with university recreational services to fulfill administrative club requirements.
- Design and conceptual skills, collection research, sourcing, fashion illustration, CAD design, flat patternmaking/draping construction, tech packs, sewing, textile/print design.
- Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop/Premier, MS Office, WordPress CMS, social media marketing.
teamwork and leadership
- Team collaboration, problem solving, organization, empathy, time management.
Other Work Experience
JEEPNEY: Executive Assistant, and Guest Relations + Operations Manager. New York, NY. 2021
- Operational management for award-winning 4 start Filipino restaurant encompassing reservations, payroll distribution, administration, maintenance and executive support.
- Established and maintained restaurant standards with the food service team on a nightly basis.
- Supported over 100 customers nightly; distributed online orders; coordinated specialty large-scale dinners.
KENT STATE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT: Equipment Manager. Kent, OH. 2018 - 21
- Provided time critical maintenance and distribution of women’s soccer, track and field, women’s softball, and women’s field hockey team athletic equipment and uniforms.
- Inventoried 200 plus uniforms and gear change requirements weekly with the athletic department.